advance-organizers, catch-up, self-help and extension materials for
teachers and learners to copy, use and develop freely,with
on the web or available as email attachments
Titles and content
are Creative Commons copyright.
INDEX - June 2006
MAKING PRINT MORE INTERESTING
- Turnabout reading book - The Story of the Old Gray Man. pdf to download
- 'Cluey' reading and spelling books - The Magic Migrant
- 'Hi-Lite' print ideas- Calendar of the Months -
- Multi-level reading book - The Travels of Maldun (to come)
- A different magic story - The QCumber Shop - to come
- A junior book of Social inventing - non-fiction creative writing and reading. Constructive literacy
- Junior book of Quotations
- Shakespeare in Quotations - Macbeth, Julius Caesar and Marlowe's Dr Faustus
- Aladdin's Wonderful Grammar
- Recommended reading - Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia
TESTS THAT TEACH -
Self-testing that helps the learner and the teacher
WEB-SITES and WEB PAGES on literacy, writing systems and spelling
that can be down-loaded and copied
Further LITERACY INNOVATIONS
- 'Fast track' Reading books,
- Standards- individual projects
- Time and space classroom projects
- Print in your hands - Print Encyclopedia in classrooms, especially pre-1968 Arthur Mee
- Spelling List - 6000 words structured to increase visual span and understanding
- Spelling Games - for understanding more about spelling and writing systems
OTHER BEGINNERS MATERIALS
- Video - Preparing To Read Thru Play. Children using play and play materials in a Scottish nursery school.
- ABC chart, plastic letters and play-tray, multipurpose and developmentally
- Spelling jingle-dangles
- Wall chart syllabus - example of a wall chart for Year 1 Maths
- Tables & number summary - color patterns to discover them
These copyright literacy
innovations can be freely downloaded and copied for teaching and
the English writing system from
A set of 22
- Hearing sounds in words.
- Learning the ABC.
- Letters and sounds.
- Letters and sounds in
- Vowel sounds a e i o u.
- Reading 3-letter words.
vowels A E I O U.
- All the 19 vowel sounds.
- Reading the most
- Coping with silly spelling.
- Why English
spelling is silly.
- Old English spelling patterns.
- Old Greek spelling patterns.
- Breaking up long words.
- Working out new
words from Latin - their beginnings, middles and ends.
- Detail of
the last 9 vowel sounds.
- Tips to work out hard spellings.
- Reading what you want to read.
- Checklist for learners - What you
have found out,and what you knew already?
Tip. Look over all the
lessons quickly, before you start to learn each step.
About the innovative
story and book materials
for learning to read faster and
develop independent reading, that can be used in beginners' and
mixed ability classes.
- Turnabout Stories
for alternate reading by a
beginner and a more experienced reader, so that beginners can have a
good story from very early on, learn to read more difficult text by
looking on, and build up their own reading vocabulary and skills,
from catching on to the whole story in print.
Sentences in a story for paired
reading are alternately easy (for the learner to read) and more
difficult (for parent, teacher, friend, older child to read) and
develop reading skills quickly from catching on to the whole story in
Example. The Travels of Maldun, part
- Multi-level and
Double-Decker Books contain the
same basic story or information at two to three levels of difficulty
on the same double-page, so that the book can be used in a mixed
ability classroom without arousing invidious comparisons. The slower
learners can be tempted to try reading the more difficult passages to
get more detail about the story, and the brighter learners can look
across to the easy passages if they need help for the harder
Hi-Light books and stories - making Print more
interesting.To aid learners in
decoding for meaning faster. You can hi-light children's books
yourself to help young readers and older readers can help. A book can
be all in one HI-LIGHT, or have different HI-LIGHTS on different
pages or different paragraphs.
- Word Hi-Light shows
sentence-structure. Nouns stand out in green and the vowels stand out
- Word-Structure Hi-Light hi-lights vowels, so that
vowel-consonant structure of words is clarified.
- Surplus Hi-Lightclarifies word structure. Silent
letters are faded to grey.
- Silly-spelling Hi-Light warns learners of spelling traps.
Irregular spellings are in another, lighter color.
Books. If the young reader cannot
read a difficult noun, they can lift a little flap and underneath is
the picture. (This is more useful than books in which the picture is
above and readers lift the flap to read the word
- Aladdin's Wonderful
Grammar. The story of Aladdin
told in a series of passages in which the first passage on a page
illustrates a point of grammar or punctuation, and the student has to
think about the point by using the next passage as a demonstration
vy's Funny Literacy Innovations
Materials that you can make yourselves
from these Web pages.
a) ABC Frieze with
pictures like the letter-shapes, and its many uses
b) ABC Picture-Charts
used with Plastic Letters and
c) Story Jigsaw.
Each jigsaw piece contains a complete word from a story, to match on
an A3 base which has the story.
d) Vowel Sounds Chart
All the vowel sounds with funny
faces and spelling patterns in words and pictures.
Spelling pattern mobiles.
Materials you can mostly make
Designed so that learners can use their intelligence,
develop their imagination and humour,
have an overview of where they are
and be reminded of where they have
or missed out or got confused,
and understand English spelling, so that
memorising is not by blind-rote.
The principle is economy and 'chunking' in
The clue is to apply all learning immediately to reading books, not
doing more activities.
Methods of learning to
read can be still back in
the dark ages in spite of more expensive
technologyThey may have little more to
enthuse learners about actually reading,
if they are not lucky enough to have a first class
This potluck can be less unfair when
innovatory materials can help learners to learn faster. Then Learners need
not be at the mercy of any of the many ideologies Teachers can have
more ideas to use, and Learners can have more chance to use their own
to help themselves.
Some of these materials are already available. Others require funding
to produce for wider use. Everyone is welcome to use and copy them. Please
tell me how you get on and how you would improve them. Research evaluations are welcomed.
Back to Ozideas Home Page